Wednesday, November 02, 2005

My Major Career Decision in Under 300 Words

A little background: I am at Auburn getting my masters in the HDFS program (Human Development and Family Studies). Within this program there is a MFT (Marriage and Family Therapy) track - basically what you study to be a marriage and family therapist. Applying to Auburn, this is what I wanted to do. They only take 6 students to be in this track and I was picked as number 7. So, I come anyway and do the HDFS program because there's a strong possibility that I can reapply next year and get into the MFT program. I get to Auburn and I'm a TA for an undergrad class. I've gotten to teach several classes and I love it. I absolutely love it. Now I want to be a professor. I've found research that I want to do and I'm lovin that, so I think I've got down my track here, I know what I'm doing.

Today, the professor that I TA for tells me that there's an opening in the MFT group and I can start now if I want - I wouldn't have to wait a year. I tell him that I think I want to be a professor because I really liked teaching. He says, that's cool and all, but I could get my masters in MFT and my PhD in HDFS (what he's done) and be a professor.

Now what?

I like what I'm doing, but who knows if I'd like MFT more? (I tend to change my mind a bit.) I need to let them know soon because they're going to offer the spot to someone else.

Just when I think I know what I'm doing...

1 comment:

EAK said...

Go for the MFT and see how you like it. The PhD will be there, and if you don't at least try the therapy route, will you be ok with it later?

Will they penalize you if you start the MFT program and change your mind?