Tuesday, November 08, 2005

How to Make Sweet Tea

1. Put water in the pot.
2. Put pot on stove; turn burner on.
3. Put tea bag in pot.
4. Put 1/3 cup Splenda in pot.
5. Put lid on pot.

Do you see "fire" anywhere in these instructions? Me neither. Apparently Sam did, though. (Check out his post about it.)

I was reading in the living room while calling tea making instructions to Sam (he's never made sweet tea before... bless his heart). There was a lot of clanging, him asking questions I'd already answered, and me calling the answers in the tone of "Are you freaking kidding me? How complicated can this be?!?" It was sweet.

And then I hear softly "I think I have a problem..."

So I look over expecting to see him trying to fit the wrong lid on the pot. But no, I see fire. The tag on the end of the tea bag has stayed too long on the burner and caught fire. Sam blows it out. It goes out - and promptly relights. Bigger. He blows it out - it promtly relights again - bigger still. He blows it out again and it stays out this time. The whole time he's been muttering, exclaiming, and swearing under his breath. When it finally goes out, he stares at it for a second and then turns around to see if I've noticed.

I'd noticed.

I'm also laughing so hard I'm crying. Which makes him start laughing harder than I've ever seen him laugh. After Sam starts choaking from laughing too hard and the small amount of smoke the fire produced, I say "A problem? You think you have a problem? Your tea bag is on fire, Ace. I'd say that's a problem." Which promptly sets us both off again.

Step 4.5 - Put out fire.

No comments: