Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The Great American Siren Song

I hate Sam's Club. I hate what it represents - the American culture of MORE. You walk in to Sam's and all you can see is big - big carts, big aisles, big shelves. Pallets of coffee creamer; 6lb tubs of cookie dough; 10 packs of toothbrushes - who needs these things?!

And yet, in all my repulsion and disgust, I am drawn. I too am seduced into the fluorescent lighting by the siren's call for a 24 case of Frappacino. In this den of gluttony I am convinced that I, too, need 64 rolls of Charmin and a bag of 32 frozen Teriyaki chicken breasts.

The Sam's Club siren laughs as she pulls me, her newly snared prey, deeper into her nest of greed, gluttony, and MORE. As I start grabbing buckets and tubes off the shelves I don't even justify it to myself anymore - I use these, so I'll use them up. It's okay if I buy surplus because I use these. Ah, and there she has me. Because I use these products there is no doubt I should get them because eventually I'll use them.

As I lug my purchases through the over filled, over sized lot full of oversized people in their oversized cars I start to regain a sense of myself. I redden slightly at the items I've bought knowing I should have been stronger. Damn the siren call of Sam's Club. Damn them all. Next time I'll be stronger. Next time I'll resist.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Perfect post. I love it.