Thursday, March 30, 2006

Too Soon to Let Go


They are closing my church.

It's the United Methodist Church of Gaylesville, AL and I guess, technically, it isn't my church because I haven't gone there since we moved down to Columbus. But I still feel like it's my church. I'm not a particularlly big fan of organized religion, but I have a soft spot for this particular church. I have loads of good memories from that church. I think, at some point, every member of one side of my family has gone to this church. That's a good feeling.

They're closing it because it only has about 5 members and that doesn't generate enough collections. I think that's bullshit. You shouldn't close a church because it isn't making enough money. You should always keep a church open as long as there are people who want to attend.

Everyone knew this day would come, eventually, but it's still so sad. I hope I can get to attend at least one more time before they close the doors. The 4 hour drive would be worth it.

No comments: